Amongst the news that Washington told Israel if they move forward with building in Eastern Jerusalem,it would distance Israel from, “even its closest allies.” This is simply offensive rhetoric.
As Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said, it’s worth learning the information properly before deciding to take a position like that. “I think they [the Obama administration] should be acquainted with the facts first. You know? First of all, these are not settlements. These are neighborhoods of Jerusalem. We have Arab neighborhoods and we have Jewish neighborhoods.”
Jerusalem is the eternal capital of the Jewish people – some strong quotes to better understand:
•”It is the right of Jews to buy an apartment in Jerusalem – I stand firm by my decision, there will not be a situation where Jews will not be able to buy an apartment in Jerusalem.” — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
• “I say this firmly and clearly: building in Jerusalem is not poisonous and harmful – rather, it is essential, important and will continue with full force. I will not freeze construction for anyone in Israel’s capital. Discrimination based on religion, race or gender is illegal in the United States and in any other civilized country.” — Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat
•“The oldest and holiest Jewish cemetery on Mount of Olives is in East Jerusalem, (3,000 years old) as is the Western Wall, so to call new Jewish suburbs in East Jerusalem, settlements, is absurd, and designed to undermine Jewish legitimacy there.” — Mervyn Bufton
• “[Jerusalem is the] “unified capital of Israel and the capital of the Jewish people, and sovereignty over it is indisputable.” — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
•“We are joyful and honored to commence the construction of our new neighborhood which strengthens the Jewish presence in united Jerusalem and stresses the fact that Jerusalem is the home of every Jew in Israel and throughout the world.” — Rabbi Dani Isaac
• “The Land of Israel without Jerusalem is merely ‘Palestine.’ Down the generations the Jews have been saying not ‘Next year in the Land of Israel’ but ‘Next year in Jerusalem’… One can create Tel-Aviv out of Jaffa but one cannot create a second Jerusalem. Zion lies within the walls, not outside them.” — Menachem Mendel Ussishkin
•“After 2,000 years of sacrifice for the dream of returning to Jerusalem, we cannot allow it to be taken away.” — Irving Moskowitz
•“All countries of the world should understand that attempts to endanger Jerusalem’s unity and Israel’s sovereignty in it, will be rejected immediately.” — MK Ofir Akunis
•“It’s a noise of construction, not of destruction, thank God. And it will always be like this. Development in Jerusalem, it’s a good thing. Not to the studio but for other things.” — Benny Elon
•“The Jewish people are in Jerusalem, not as settlers or invaders, but as of right. These rights are clearly spelt out in International Law and should be respected by the international community.” — Jacques Gauthier
•“A non-broken series of treaties and resolutions, as laid out by the San Remo Resolution, the League of Nations and the United Nations, gives the Jewish People title to the city of Jerusalem.” — Hillel Fendel
•“You ought to let the Jews have Jerusalem; it was they who made it famous.” — Winston Churchill
•“Jerusalem was the focal point for the historical connection of the Jewish people to the land of Israel.” — Dore Gold
•“The Jewish connection to Jerusalem is an ancient and powerful one. Judaism made Jerusalem a holy city over three thousand years ago and through all that time Jews remained steadfast to it.” — Daniel Pipes
•“This means praying and working for a just and lasting peace. Dividing Jerusalem will not lead to peace but will only further fuel the conflict. A lasting peace needs to be based on historical facts and international law and not on unilateral declarations or international pressure.” — Tomas Sandell
•“There is no justice, no law, and no God in heaven, only a single law which decides and supersedes all — [Jewish] settlement [of the land].” – Ze’ev Jabotinsky
•“2,600 apartments in Givat HaMatos that we approved two years ago will enable more young people from all sectors and religions to live in Jerusalem and build their future here, thereby strengthening the capital of Israel. We will not apologize for that.” — Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat
•“Jerusalem is not a settlement but the historical capital of Israel. If Jerusalem were to be divided along the armistice demarcation lines of 1967, it would place the Old City under Palestinian rule. This would contradict the legal commitments made to the Jewish people in the San Remo Resolution of 1920, the Mandate for Palestine in 1922, as well as Article 80 in the United Nations Charter.” — Jacques Gauthier
•“In terms of numbers, Jerusalem – not even including Zion – is mentioned directly in the Bible approximately 650 times. By way of comparison, it is not mentioned even once in the Koran – and Muslims actually turn their backs on Jerusalem when they pray.” — Chaim Silberstein
• “Anyone who doesn’t recognize Jerusalem as the capital of the state of Israel does not recognize the State of Israel.” — Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat
•“Jerusalem is the eternal, undivided capital of the nation of Israel and the Jewish people.” — Former Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin
•“There are two reasons Jerusalem was chosen the capital of Israel. The first, from David’s perspective, is political. The second, from God’s perspective, and more importantly, is spiritual.” — Gordon Franz
• “Objecting to ‘Judaisation of Jerusalem’, so to speak, is absurd and is equatable to an objection to the Catholic nature of the Vatican or the Islamisation of Mecca, it is naturally unthinkable.” — Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor
• “I can imagine what would happen if someone proposed that Jews could not live or buy in certain neighborhoods of London, New York, Paris or Rome. A huge international outcry would surely ensue. It is even more impossible to agree to such an edict in East Jerusalem.” — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
•“It is unthinkable that any sovereign nation does not have the right to determine where in its territory its capital will reside. How ludicrous it is for one country to demand of another where it should or should not locate its capital! This is especially true of a city which has had strong emotional and spiritual significance to the Jewish people for many centuries.” — Bob Westbrook
•“Anyone who thinks that Jews buying a few handfuls of homes in areas of Jerusalem in any way contributes to the problems in the Middle East just doesn’t understand the reality of how deep the antagonism is to the nation state of the Jewish people,” — Professor Alan Dershowitz.
Jerusalem will never be divided.
About Ronn Torossian
Ronn Torossian is one of America’s most prolific and respected public relations experts. Torossian is the Founder, President and CEO of 5W Public Relations, one of the 25 largest independent American PR firms, which was named PR Agency of the Year by the American Business Awards. He is the best-selling author of “For Immediate Release: Shape Minds, Build Brands, and Deliver Results with Game-Changing Public Relations,” a book known as an industry “must read.” Torossian is a featured op-ed columnist for The Huffington Post, Newsmax, Wired Magazine and others. He is the recipient of multiple awards, including PR Executive of the Year and is a past semi-finalist for Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young. Torossian lives in Manhattan with his wife and children. Connect with him on Google+ and Twitter.